Tsavo is the largest National Park in Kenya, located in the southern part of the country, covering an area of 22.000 square kilometres.The Park’s environs are made up of livestock ranches, seasonal small-scale agricultural farms and community
wildlife reserves. Therefore, the entire area that wild animals can roam freely upon – the “Tsavo Eco System” – is realistically larger and covers an area of approx. 35.000 square kilometres.
The Tsavo Parks were gazetted in April 1948 from an area of seemingly no importance to any form of human requirement, being mainly dry, uninhabited, badly watered and with a low and unreliable rainfall.Due to the conservation area’s immense size, the park was divided into East and West in 1949 for administrative purposes, and the Eastern part further split up into the Northern and Southern Area.
Tsavo was famous for its large Elephant and Rhino concentrations, which were estimated at 40.000 Elephants and 6.000 Rhinos in the 60’s. It was also the famous hunting area for Baron Blixen and Finch Hatton! Tsavo then became known for the extensive Elephant and Rhino die-off because of the 1960’s drought and the subsequent debate between scientists and park managers about the ethics of culling Elephants. Then followed twenty years of large scale poaching, mainly due to the phenomenal rise in price of Rhino horn and ivory on the international market.